Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Corn-Free Dogs

Yum
My older son isn't the best eater.  He has a really small appetite and it's hard to get him to eat enough.  So, in an attempt to find something he'll eat without a fight I created these "corn dogs" by adapting my corn-free cornbread recipe.  I can't handle corn, my family does just fine with it...but I'm not making two meals, so these are corn-free corn dogs and you wouldn't even know unless you were told!  And yes, my son ate them and enjoyed them.  And even came back later for more.  They are the perfect kid-friendly meal.


Corn-Free Dogs
1/2 cup millet flour
2 tablespoons sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dairy-free milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil of choice (coconut, grapeseed, canola, etc)
2 tablespoons honey
starch of choice (I used potato starch)
8 GF hot dogs

Directions
Preheat 2-3 inches oil in a large pot over medium/medium high heat.

In a medium bowl, combine the flours, starches, baking powders, xanthan gum, and salt.  Add in the milk egg, canola oil and honey.  Mix until smooth and pour into a tall glass.

Insert wooden skewers into the hot dogs, coat them with potato starch, then dip them into the batter, making sure it's evenly coated.

Fry 2-3 at a time for about 3 minutes or until they are nice and golden brown.  Drain on paper towels before serving.

This post was shared on Allergy Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not Wednesdays, Whole Food Fridays, and Gluten Free Fridays.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, my kids would love these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat, and what a great way to avoid GM corn! Thanks so much for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, I've pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would it be possible to try other gf flours with this?☺ I have a severe grass allergy too, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes! You can then reheat them in the microwave or in the oven (I would do 425F for ~15 minutes or so).

      Delete
  5. Can they be done with an egg replacer? My son is also allergic to eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you could use the Ener-G egg replacer or make a flax egg by mixing 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and allowing it to sit for about 15 minutes before using.

      Delete
  6. Only one question, what do you think I could substitute for the egg? My grandson can't have that along with alt of other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you could use the Ener-G egg replacer or make a flax egg by mixing 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and allowing it to sit for about 15 minutes before using.

      Delete
  7. Sharing a link on my blog over at http://adoptivemomhomeschoolinganonlychild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you think you can do this with turkey breakfast sausage for brunch? Thought might be good for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do you get hot dogs that are corn free? It's nice to see a recipe like this for corn allergy. Hard to find...but wondering about the hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Applegate hot dogs are an excellent choice: http://www.applegate.com/products/hot-dogs/category

      Delete
  10. Than you. Gotta try this for my grandson. He lives hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete