Saturday, November 5, 2011

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix (Dairy-free, of course)

Yum
I am a Hot Chocolate (or Cocoa) fanatic.  Really, before our diet change, it was my nightly drink before bed.  But, since then, I haven't had it, closest thing has been heating up my Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk...but, it isn't the same.  So, I decided I just needed to make my own, it is snowing after all!  I found this recipe from Martha Stewart and didn't really have to change it, just sub in non-dairy milk for the whole milk...easy, peasy! So, without furthur ado, I give you Dairy-Free Hot Cocoa!



Dairy-Free Hot Cocoa Mix
3 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups cocoa
1 tablespoon table salt
Non-dairy milk for serving (We've used both the So Delicious Coconut Milk and the Silk Almond Milk, and both are fantastic with it)

Directions
In a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt, and whisk to combine well.  Store the mixture in an airtight container.


For individual servings, heat 1 cup of nondairy milk in the microwave on high just until hot.  Place 2 tablespoons of the cocoa mix into a mug, and slowly stir in the hot milk, mixing as you're stirring (I find you have less lumps if you do it this way, then adding the mix to the milk).

3 comments:

  1. mmmm! I just made this using ingredients from the bulk food aisle! it is amazing. my daughter is in heaven (and so am i). One hint: stir your cocoa with a candy cane and it'll be extra minty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, it is gluten-free, but not dairy-free. I can't tolerate dairy, nor can my son, hence why we have homemade hot cocoa.

      Delete