Monday, November 28, 2011

Gluten Free Churros for Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger

Yum
This is my first Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger event I've participated in and I've had fun with it.  Kalinda at Wheat-Free Meat-Free is hosting the event this month. I chose Heidi from Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom because her blog is definitely one that I follow and has been so helpful since our diet change a year ago.  She has tons of kid-friendly foods and because her family has multiple intolerances like mine, I don't have to figure out substitutes.  She has her recipes organized so you can easily find recipes that are dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, etc. Which makes it so much easier for those of us who have extra restrictions. 

I decided to make her Gluten Free Churros because (1) they looked absolutely divine (2) I've really missed churros and (3) These are dairy-free and soy-free!

 Before our diet change I never would have thought to make something like this, I would have assumed it was too hard...but, my word, these came together so fast and were quite easy to make.  The dough, of course, is quite sticky to work with, so I did find that it helped to pipe the churros out onto smaller pieces of parchment paper that could then be used to transfer the churros to the hot oil. I was basically picking up a piece of parchment paper that held 2 or 3 churros and turning it over and letting the churros drop into the oil.

These were amazing freshly rolled in the cinnamon sugar, but if you don't finish them all in one sitting (because you actually have self control, unlike me), then reheat them in the oven at 350F until they are hot.

Thanks, Heidi, for such fantastic recipes on your website!

1 comment:

  1. This definitely would also be on my list of "probably not making because it looks like a big hassle." But now I know it's not so big of a deal. I love how yours have the star shape. I don't have any piping bags. :-/ But that doesn't mean I can't make them, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete