Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mexican Coleslaw

Yum
This is an easy side dish, or topping for tacos (I love it both on my beef and my fish tacos). And you can add in whatever you have on hand. :)


Mexican Coleslaw

3/4 cup salsa (see recipe below, or follow link and scroll down)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
1 medium bell pepper, diced (I used 3 very small peppers)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Toss ingredients together and chill before serving.  You could add in whatever ingredients you like, if I had mangoes I would have added those in.

Fresh Salsa

4 C. fresh chopped tomatoes
1 large onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/3 C cilantro chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp lime juice

Directions
Mix all together and refrigerate.  Note: I actually blend up half of it in a blender to make more of a sauce (mainly because my family does not like chunks in their salsa) and I used the blended portion to make the sauce for the tacos.

This post is featured on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, and Real Food Weekly.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great recipe. Perfect for a graduation party this weekend, as a matter of fact.

    Just wanted to let you know that you won the Betty Crocker giveaway on The Crispy Cook. When you get a chance send me an email with your shipping address and phone to oldsaratogabooks AT gmaildo TcoM and I'll relay to Betty. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding salsa sounds like a great twist in coleslaw. It looks pretty too!

    ReplyDelete