Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Barbecue Beans (i.e. Famous Dave's Wilbur Beans)

Yum
Before our diet change one of our favorite restaurants to frequent when visiting my mother-in-law was Famous Dave's.  I know they have gluten-free options, but we still haven't been back since the diet change.  My favorite side dish from there is one I'll never be able to enjoy there again--their Wilbur Beans.  But, there are a ton of copy cat recipes out there, and modifying them is quite easy.  And that's exactly what I did, so we could enjoy them with our Christmas dinner this year.  And really, these beans could be a meal on their own, with a bit of cornbread, you'd definitely have a meal. Also, they get better each day, really these are the best leftovers ever!



Gluten-Free Barbecue Beans

8 oz thick sliced bacon
8-16 oz sirloin steak (depending on how much meat you want in your beans, we used 16 oz)
Steak seasoning for the steak (I use Famous Dave's Rib Rub Seasoning)
8 oz smoked sausage (just check and make sure it's gluten-free)
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
2 (28 oz) cans Bush's original baked beans
1 (20 oz) bottle barbecue sauce (find one you really like the flavor of, because that's what your beans will taste like, I use Famous Dave's Texas Pit Barbecue Sauce)

Directions:

Fry bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings.Cruumble bacon and set aside.

Sprinkle steak with seasoning and grill over high heat until cooked to medium. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.

Slice sausage length wise into quarters and then into cubes, set aside.

Saute onions and jalapeno in reserved bacon drippings in a skillet until tender. And in sausage and cook for a few more minutes.

Stir in bacon, steak, beans and bbq sauce. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasinally. 

The flavor is enhanced if stored covered in the refrigerator for at least 8 to 10 hours and reheated just before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to my father who informed me regarding this webpage, this website is actually amazing.
    my site :: Posted by My Industrial Injury Claims.com

    ReplyDelete