Thursday, January 5, 2012

Multigrain Seeded Bread

Yum
Most of the time I'm coming up with recipes I have my kids in mind, but every once in a while, like tonight, I think solely about me. :)  I made myself this incredible multigrain seeded bread that happens to be free from gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, rice, corn, and refined sugars. And could easily be made vegan by using agar flakes in place of the gelatin and agave nectar in place of the honey.


I've had three pieces already...I might just eat the whole loaf tonight.  This is definitely going to by my bread going forward.  I used sorghum and millet instead of brown rice, because they have a higher protein and fiber content.  Combine that, with the flax seed, chia seed, whole millet, and much more and you have a pretty healthy and hearty piece of bread.  And it's has just the perfect amount of nuttiness from the seeds to make an excellent sandwich bread or to have by itself.




This recipe is a part of January's collection of healing foods for 'Go ahead honey, it's gluten-free' event, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, and Allergy Friendly Friday.



Multigrain Seeded Bread
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup millet flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons guar gum (or xanthan gum, I just happened to have guar gum at the moment)
2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (1 packet of Knox Gelatine)
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon millet
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, plus more to sprinkle on top
1 tablespoon roughly chopped pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, plus more to sprinkle on top
1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more to sprinkle on top

Directions

In a small bowl  mix together water, yeast, honey, oil, and vinegar.  Let sit for ~3-5 minutes. In a medium bowl (I used my stand mixer for this), stir together dry ingredients.  Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.  Once combined, mix on high speed for 3-5 minutes.


Grease a loaf pan.  Spoon the batter into the pan, smooth the top with wet fingers or a wet spatula. Sprinkle with extra poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds.  Cover, and let rise in a warm spot for 20 minutes. As the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 400F.

Bake for 60 minutes, covering with aluminum foil after the first 10 minutes.  When 5 minutes a left, check the bread, if you want it a little more golden, remove the foil, if it's browned enough leave it on.

The bread should last a few days if stored in the fridge, a few months if stored in the freezer.

3 comments:

  1. Outstanding job! Looks fantastic - just like the rye bread I grew up eating and loving (and now missing!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this recipe twice now. It's excellent!

    ReplyDelete