Saturday, January 14, 2012

Yeast Doughnuts

Yum
I love doughnuts (or donuts, however you want to spell it), and I'm really happy that I can buy some pretty good ones, like the kinnikinnick ones, but I miss yeast raised doughnuts, a classic glazed one, or a jelly filled one, ones rolled in sugar...um, I could go on and on.  So I set out to make my one, and I failed at least once, but today I succeeded and I have eaten way to many of these little gems, but I don't care. :) I based my recipe on this one and modified it for our diet.


Yeast Doughnuts
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar, separated
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
1/2 cup warm So Delicious Original Coconut Milk
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dairy-free margarine, cut up
Canola Oil for frying
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Sugar Glaze
1/2-3/4 cup jam or jelly, optional

Directions:
The night before you want donuts do the following:

In a small bowl, whisk together yeast, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water until yeast is dissolved. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.

In a food processor or stand mixer, combine flour, milk, egg, egg yolk, salt, yeast mixture, and remaining sugar. Cover and process until combined. Add margarine; cover and process until combined (dough will be sticky, of course).

Place dough in lightly greased bowl; cover and chill in refrigerator overnight (8 to 12 hours).

In the morning, do the following:

On a well-floured surface, roll (or pat, that's what I do) dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2 inch round cutter, cut dough. Reroll as necessary. Arrange dough rounds on parchment paper. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes or until nearly double in size.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan to 365 degrees F. In a bowl, place 1/3 cup sugar; set aside. Prepare the sugar glaze or any other toppings for the doughnuts and set aside. Place the jelly in a decorating bag fitted with a long thin tip; set aside.

Fry doughnuts, three at a time, in the oil about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. (I found it is easiest to place the donuts in the oil by using the parchment paper it is already on...you turn the paper over right over the oil and the doughnuts drop right in.) Remove doughnuts using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. While warm, dip each donut in sugar to coat, or in the glaze...depending on your preference.

For jelly filled doughnuts:

Holding each doughnut, poke a hole in one side of doughnut. Pipe the jelly through the opening. Repeat on opposite side of doughnut. Serve warm. Makes about 12-14 doughnuts.

This post is featured on Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment