Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sorghum Millet Bread, Rolls, and Breadsticks

Yum
Since I made myself a fantastic bread, I decided I needed to make one for the boys, too.  I already have a fantastic bread recipe that I use to make bread, rolls and breadsticks.  But, I thought I'd change things up a bit and make one using sorghum and millet flour, because they really are my favorite for breads.  My older son absolutely loves this bread, in all three forms.  In fact, I made breadsticks last night and they disappeared before I could take a picture of them, I call that a success. 


Sorghum Millet Bread
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
2/3 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons guar gum (or xanthan gum, all I have right now is guar gum)
2 teaspoons (or one packet) unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed

Directions:
In a small bowl  mix together water, yeast, honey, oil, and vinegar.  Let sit for ~3-5 minutes. In a medium bowl (I used my stand mixer for this), stir together dry ingredients.  Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.  Once combined, mix on high speed for 3-5 minutes.

For Bread: Grease a loaf pan.  Spoon the batter into the pan, smooth the top with wet fingers or a wet spatula. Cover, and let rise in a warm spot for 20 minutes. As the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 400F.

Bake for 60 minutes, covering with aluminum foil after the first 10 minutes.  When 5 minutes a left, check the bread, if you want it a little more golden, remove the foil, if it's browned enough leave it on.

The bread should last a few days if stored in the fridge, a few months if stored in the freezer.

For Rolls: Grease a muffin tin.  Scoop dough into muffin tins by using a spring release cookie dough scoop (1 1/2"- 2" size or 1/4 cup if going by volume).

Cover and allow to rise for 20 minutes.  Then bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.  After 15 minutes, top with dairy-free margarine to help with browning.

For Breadsticks: Grease a cookie sheet. Scoop dough into a large ziploc bag and cut a bottom corner off.  Pipe the dough (as you would frosting) onto the cookie sheet, making the breadsticks as long or short as you would like.

Cover and allow to rise for 20 minutes.  Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.  After 15 minutes, top with dairy-free margarine and garlic salt.

14 comments:

  1. Is there a substitute for Tapioca starch? Can't find it locally.

    Thanks,
    Sheeba C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use corn starch instead, or just more potato starch.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely loaf of GF bread! I'm just becoming familiar with your blog - so glad to have found you!

    Ellen (Gluten Free Diva)
    http://www.glutenfreediva.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a substitute for almond meal? I am allergic to nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried anything else, but you could try coconut flour, if you can tolerate that. Or even ground flaxseed. Good luck, let me know if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a vegetarian and am also allergic to tapioca..so any suggestions for substituion for gelatin, and tapioca? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using corn starch or more potato starch in place of the tapioca starch. And try, fruit pectin or agar agar powder in place of the gelatin.

      Delete
  6. Oh I see above you can use corn starch instead of tapioca! Just need to address the gelatin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this bread today - it tastes great and there is a nice crusty crust, which I love...but the loaf rose VERY little. Any suggestions?? Thanks for a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this bread doesn't rise very well, and is dense. I'm working on trying to fix it. You could try adding in 2 egg whites (if you can handle eggs) right before you mix it on high speed at the end. Egg white help give lift to breads. Let me know if this works for you.

      Delete
  8. Our family has problems with yeast. Do you have any flatbreads that do not use yeast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do have some yeast-free bread options. Here are a few: http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/01/biscuits-and-gravychocolate-gravy.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/11/corn-free-cornbread.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/12/crepes.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2013/07/crispy-waffles.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2011/04/homemade-flour-tortillas.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/09/fry-bread.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/11/turkey-and-green-chili-gorditas.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/11/mashed-potato-cakes-and-sweet-potato.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2013/05/teff-biscuits.html

      Delete