Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Seed Jam

Yum
It's rhubarb season!  When I was little my grandma had a rhubarb plant in her backyard.  When we would come to visit, she'd go out and pick some rhubarb and chop it up into sticks, just like celery, to give to us.  Now I know most people would find this gross, but we loved it, and we would sit and giggle at the sour faces we would pull while eating it.  I love rhubarb, and I know it's because of the memories we made at Grandma's house.

I have been looking for a jam recipe that doesn't contain tons of sugar, I think this one does the trick.  I initially just thought to add the chia seeds to help solidify the jam, since rhubarb doesn't help much with that. But chia seeds also add much needed omega-3's, antioxidants, fiber, protein, and calcium to the mix.  So, this is a pretty healthy jam!

This jam would work with about any fruit, I would guess, and minus the rhubarb you probably wouldn't need to cook it, just refrigerate it and let the chia do it's job...so it would be a raw jam. :)




Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Seed Jam
4 cups diced fresh strawberries
2 cups diced rhubarb
1/2 cup chia seed
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water

Directions
Combine ingredients in a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium to medium-high heat until rhubarb is softened, about 10 minutes.

Pour the jam mixture onto a cookie sheet to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer into containers and store in fridge (or for longer term storage place in freezer).  Allow the jam to set up for at least one hour in the fridge before using.


This post was shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten Free WednesdaysAllergy Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Fridays, Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love, Allergy Friendly FridaysWhole Foods Friday, and 5-Ingredient Mondays.


3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks fantastic. I've noticed that rhubarb is in the stores now but I wasn't sure how to use it...now I do! This would be a great addition to 5-Ingredient Mondays (http://siftstirandsavour.com/2013/05/12/5-ingredient-mondays-sugar-free-peanut-butter-cups-vegan-gluten-free-2/), if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the addition of chia seeds!! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking-up! Hope to see you back this week at 5-Ingredient Mondays!

    ReplyDelete