Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mini Marshmallow Popcorn Balls

Yum
I was in a experimenting mood this evening and the boys wanted popcorn, so I combined the two wants and came out with these.  I made them mini balls because my boys can never finish a large popcorn ball...and it limits my sugar intake, too. :)  I started with this recipe, then modified it to work for us.



Mini Marshmallow Popcorn Balls

20 cups popped popcorn
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 7-oz jar marshmallow creme
2 tablespoons palm oil shortening
1/2 teaspoon imitation butter flavoring (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)

1. Remove all unpopped kernels from popcorn.  Place popcorn in a greased 17x2x2-inch baking pan or roasting pan (I used two 9x13 pans). Keep popcorn warm in a 300F oven while preparing marshmallow mixture.

2. In a large saucepan bring corn syrup and sugar to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in marshmallow creme, shortening, butter flavoring, and vanilla until combined.

3. Pour the mixture over hot popcorn; stir gently to coat.  Cool until popcorn mixture can be handled easily.  At this point I added the chocolate chips to one of the pans (so half of the mixture). And mixed it in, it should melt and swirl with the marshmallow mixture.  With damp hands, quickly shape mixture into 1-2" balls.  Wrap the popcorn balls in plastic wrap. The should keep for about a week at room temp.

This made easily 5 dozen mini balls (it would probably make 20 large popcorn balls).

No comments:

Post a Comment