Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Zuppa Toscana

Yum
My very favorite soup at Olive Garden was there Zuppa Toscana, so today I made it.  I used Savoy Cabbage, instead of Kale, because I got some with my bountiful basket today. It definitely hit the spot.

Zuppa Toscana

6-8 slices bacon
3/4 cup onion, finely diced (it was 1/2 onion for me)
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (it was 3 cloves for me)
1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
1 large Russet Baking Potatos sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices (or 2 medium ones)
4 cups Chicken Broth or stock
2 C. Kale (like I said, I used Savoy Cabbage, you could also use swiss chard, as well)
2/3 C. So Delicious Coconut Milk (I used the unsweetened this time, because that's what I had)

In a large sauce pan cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy, remove, crumble, and set aside.  Add onion to bacon drippings and cook until transparent.  Add in garlic and cook for another minute.  While the bacon, onions, and garlic are cooking, in a skillet cook the sausage until done, breaking up just like you would for ground beef. :)  Set aside. Once onions and garlic are cooked, and the chicken broth and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, but aren't falling apart.  Add the Kale, bacon, and sausage and cook for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the coconut milk and heat through.


This is Savoy Cabbage, in case you were wondering. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment