Saturday, January 8, 2011

Apple Fritters

Yum
I know I was feeling better today when I woke up and thought, "I want apple fritters!"...and then proceeded to make them!  I adapted this recipe, and also put down directions for baking, if you want to do that instead.  Also, you can leave the apples out and it turns out just fine, the only reason I know this is because of my older son.  He took a bite of a fritter and said "Wow, Mom these are good except for these little yellow-green things...can you make these without those?"  I should have said no, eat your apples!  But, I was wanting to experiment with baking the batter....so, I made another batch.  And yes, these are so good you will make yourself sick on eating them, so hopefully you have more self control than I do. :)


Apple Fritters

Fritter:
1 cup gluten free flour blend
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup So Delicious Coconut milk
1 egg
1 cup chopped apple
canola oil

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 T So Delicious Coconut milk


Directions:  

Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon.  Stir in milk and egg until just combined.  Fold in apple.  Heat oil on medium high.  Oil is ready when dough floats to top.  Carefully add dough to oil in heaping teaspoons.  Cook until brown, about 1-2 minutes, then flip.  Cook another 1-2 minutes, until both sides are browned.  Transfer briefly to paper towels to absorb excess oil, then transfer to cooling rack.  Make glaze by stirring milk and powdered sugar together in a small bowl.  Dip warm donuts into glaze, and let set on a cooling rack (make sure paper towels are under the rack to catch the excess glaze).  Once set, dip the other side into the glaze and let set again.  Best served warm, but they were still good tonight when I ate some for dessert. :)
Baking directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease donut pans and set aside.  Make batter same as above (of course you can omit apples if you want more of a regular cake donut). Fill each donut half full.  Cook for ~15 minutes.  Cool on cooling rack until able to handle, then dip tops in glaze and let set.

5 comments:

  1. OMG, those look soooo good! But I don't eat eggs. I wonder if you could substitute a flax egg or Egg Replacer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, where it's only one egg, I'm sure Egg Replacer would work just fine...and yes, they are sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting! Everyone loved these. I made a second batch they were so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you substitute almond milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can definitely sub in almond milk, I've done it several times myself.

      Delete