Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chicken Salad

Yum
I made an incredibly easy roasted chicken for Sunday dinner, it's one of my favorite recipes, but there is always leftovers.  And I'm usually the only one that eats leftovers...unless it's cleverly disguised.  So, I used my recipes to make this...and this is my favorite chicken salad recipe, the dill and red wine vinegar, mixed with sweet pickles and mustard give this an entirely new taste to your typical chicken salad. You can eat it with a gf roll, as a wrap using corn torillas or crepes, over lettuce, or straight up. :) And it also works great as a potato salad, too!  Just sub in 4 cups cooked, diced potatoes for the chicken...it is soooo good!




Chicken Salad


4 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded.
2 cups celery, diced
1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
1/4 cup sweet pickles, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Sauce:
1 3/4 cup canola oil mayonnaise
3/4 tablespoon dried onion
1 1/2 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon dill weed

Directions
Mix top ingredients together.  Mix sauce in a separate bowl and pour over chicken mixture.  Mix well, and chill before serving.  I make mine the night before and let the flavors meld together, it's one of those things that is definitely better the next day!  And, like I said, it makes a fantastic potato salad, too, just sub in potatoes for the chicken.

This recipe is featured on The Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good! Where do you get mayonnaise that isn't made with soybean oil? We aren't worried about soy yet, but just in case I've been looking and can't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy the Best Foods Canola Oil Mayonnaise, not only is it soy-free, it's the same price as regular Best Foods mayonnaise. I buy mine at Smith's, but it should be in about any grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I used to love eating chicken salad, but I haven't had it in a really long time. I've never put in carrots before, but that sounds really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love chicken salad here. I don't know why I never think to put pickles in it. Thanks for participating in the salad challenge.

    ReplyDelete