Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pizza Crust

Yum
Okay, I think I am finally finished changing, converting, and manipulating pizza crust recipes...at least for now.  I made pizza tonight and it turned out pretty good.  It was had some crispness from the pizza stone, but wasn't too heavy, like some crusts I've made.  It has a good flavor, we all ate till we were stuffed, so that's a good sign. :)  I make my own pizza sauce using my friend's recipe, it's simple and really good. And I'm sure you can tell by the pictures everyone has their own preference for toppings.  I don't put daiya cheese on my half, but my little one loves it on his half, and my older son and hubby, who can eat dairy, smother theirs with cheese.  By the way, my hubby is not gluten intolerant, but he does eat my pizza, along with about everything else I make.  He is really the one I gauge if the recipe is good or not, and he ate half a pizza...so it's a hit! :)


Homemade Pizza Crust

1 3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon fast-rising dry yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups gf flour blend (if not using my blend, make sure your blend has xanthan gum or add 2 tsp. of it)
1 cup sorghum flour
3/4 cup millet flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (one packet of Knox Gelatine)


Directions

In a small bowl  mix together water, yeast, oil, honey, and vinegar.  Let sit for ~3-5 minutes. In a medium bowl (I used my stand mixer for this), stir together dry ingredients.  Add the yeast mixture and mix on low speed until combined.  Then mix on high speed for 3 minutes.

Layout 2 pieces of parchment paper that are at least 14" long. Divide dough in half.  Spread half of dough onto each piece of parchment paper, using a rubber spatula. Dip spatula in water occasionally to keep the dough from sticking.  Each crust should be about 12" in diameter and about 1/4" or so thick.  Cover with a light cloth and let rise in a warm place (I always use the top of my range, while my oven is preheating) for about 30-40 minutes.

Place pizza stone on the bottom rack of oven and heat oven to 425F.  Uncover dough and cook one at a time (unless you have a bigger stone than mine :) then you can do both) on the pizza stone for 8-10 minutes.  At this point you can cool and freeze the pizza crusts, so you have a bunch on hand when you want something quick for dinner, or you can top them with sauce and toppings and place them directly back onto the stone for another 10-15 minutes.

Yields: Two 9-10" pizza crusts or one 12-13" crust

This post is featured on The Gluten Free Homemaker's Gluten Free Wednesdays

2 comments:

  1. Yippee for gluten-eating husband taste testing success! Looks delish! :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to find a recipe you're happy with when you've been experimenting for a a while. My husband and kids are my taste testers too. Thanks for participating in the pizza challenge.

    ReplyDelete