Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Coconut Shrimp

Yum
So, my boys have never tried shrimp, as far as I know...so, I was a little worried that they would turn up their noses and refuse it.  I told them they had to eat least take a bite...and they loved it, huge success!


Coconut Shrimp

1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (you can used unsweetened, just add in ~1T sugar to the mix)
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
20-24 fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined. (You can leave the tails on, I removed them so my boys wouldn't (a) get freaked out and (b) wouldn't accidentally eat them)
canola oil for frying

Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.

Heat 2" of oil in a large pot to 325F.  While oil is heating combine coconut, corn starch and salt in one bowl and the egg and water in a separate bowl. Dip shrimp into the egg mixture, then coat shrimp with coconut mixture, pressing the mixture firmly onto the shrimp.

Fry the shrimp for a couple of minutes and drain on paper towels.

This post is featured on Allergy Friendly Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment