Sunday, October 23, 2011

Classic Fried Chicken

Yum
So, I was having some odd dreams last night...mostly consisting of the typical, I'm back in High School and I can't remember my locker combination or which classes I have, etc.  But then, I had a dream that I was at work and my coworkers went and got KFC and they ate it in front of me!  I was not a happy camper. Honestly, I haven't even thought about KFC in ages, but this dream really had me wanting some fried chicken, so what was I to do? I fried me up some chicken!


Classic Fried Chicken

2-3 lbs meaty chicken pieces (I used drumsticks, because that is what most of my family prefers)
1 cup non-dairy milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup gf flour blend or brown rice flour
canola oil

Directions
Remove the skins from the chicken (unless of course, you like the skin, I don't, so I skin them).  Combine the milk and the eggs in a large bowl or baking dish and add the chicken.  Allow to sit in the mixture for ~30 minutes.

While the chicken is resting in the milk.  Combine the spices in a small bowl and set aside.  Place the flour in a shallow baking dish and set aside. Add canola oil to a deep, heavy Dutch oven to reach 1 1/2 inches.  Heat the oil to 350F.

While the oil is heating, remove the chicken from the milk and dredge with flour. Dip the chicken again in the milk, then liberally season with the spice mixture and follow that with another dredging in the flour.

Add the chicken to the hot oil.  The oil temperature will drop, when you add the chicken, keep an eye on it.  You want it to stay right around 325F.   Cook until the meat is no longer pink and the coating is golden, turning once.  It should take about 15-20 minutes, depending on type of meat.  Also, check the temperature of the meat: breasts should be 170F and thighs and drumsticks should be 180F.

Drain chicken on a rack over a sheet pan. Don't drain by setting chicken directly on paper towels or brown paper bags, it won't stay as crispy that way. And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment