Monday, December 6, 2010

All purpose flour blend

Okay, after the success of my last batch of sugar cookies, I thought I might try my hand at my own flour blend, at least one for my cookies.  So here it is:

All purpose flour blend
3 cups sweet rice flour
3 cups brown rice flour or gluten free oat flour
2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch
1 1/2 tablespoons xanthan gum

Whisk together in a large bowl and store in an airtight container.  Use in place of all purpose flour in cookie recipes.

UPDATE 1/8/11:  I really love the blend of the sweet rice with the oat, but if you don't like it or don't have these flours on hand, you can sub and experiment.  The important part is keeping these ratios.  So you could use all brown rice in place of the sweet rice and oat, or use a 50:50 mix of sorghum and millet, or a white rice/brown rice mix, etc. As long as you keep the flour/starch/xanthan gum ratios the same, the possibilities are endless. :)

17 comments:

  1. Where do you get your gluten free oat flour? It sounds delicious! (I'm soy free too so I am so glad I found your site - that pita bread recipe looks amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grind my own in my Nutrimill using Bob's Red Mill GF Steel Cut Oats. Bob's Red Mill also makes GF Oat Flour, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a link from the pita bread to this flour blend. Do you use it for cookies and for pita bread? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally used it for a cookie blend, but soon found it worked as a general all purpose gf blend, so yes, I use it in both my pita bread and my cookies, and a lot more recipes, too.

      Delete
  4. what is sweet rice flour? I've never heard of it. only rice flour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet rice is another name for sticky rice...it has a higher amount of starch and works really well for binding. I either by my own sticky rice and grind it or I buy Bob's Red Mill Sweet Rice Flour: http://www.bobsredmill.com/sweet-white-rice-flour.html?&cat=15

      Delete
  5. I buy all my Bobs Red Mill flour at www.swansonvitmins.com so very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I substitue the potato starch portion to cornstatch or arrowroot powder? My husband can't eat potatoes. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should be able to sub it for cornstarch or arrowroot powder.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much!! Have all the other ingredients on hand to grind into flour. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was recently diagnosed with a wheat allergy so I'm very new to all of this! What is the advantage of grinding your own flours? Does this save you money? What grinder would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that whole grains tend to be a bit less expensive than flours. I use a NutriMill grinder to grind my grains.

      Delete
  9. I want to start GF baking and want to know about almond flour and coconut flour. How do they work in baked goods?

    ReplyDelete
  10. In your flour blend that you used in this recipe, did you use the oat flour or the brown rice flour? I've been looking for a good GF cinnamon roll recipe and I want to get it right. Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use brown rice flour, more economical. :)

      Delete
  11. Is the amount of xanthan gum enough for all the other ingredients used? IT seem like a small amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the correct amount, and it turns out great!

      Delete