Friday, October 21, 2011

Pumpkin Bars

Yum
One of my favorite pumpkin desserts is pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting...it's been a while since I've had them, so I set out to make my own version of them...these ones even have chocolate chips.

My boys absolutely loved these, polishing off an entire pan themselves...so this Thanksgiving, I'll make pie for me and these bars for them.  This post is also featured on the November Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten-Free: Thanksgiving Dishes Round Up. :)


Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars with Yogurt Frosting

2 cups canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 cups GF flour blend
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup dairy free chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a half sheet pan (13x18x1) and set aside.

Mix together the pumpkin, eggs, sugar, and oil.

In a separate bowl, combine flour blend, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.  Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.

Fold in chocolate chips and pour the batter into the greased pan.

Cook at 350F for 30 minutes.  Cool completely before frosting (recipe below).


Mock Cream Cheese Frosting (i.e. Yogurt Frosting)

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup coconut milk yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Mix together shortening, yogurt, and vanilla.  Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.

This post is featured on Slightly Indulgent Tuesday and Gluten Free Wednesday, and Allergy Friendly Friday.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how this would turn out substituting applesauce for the eggs? I'll have to give it a try :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! First time at your blog.

    Thank for sharing at the link party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum. I love pumpkin and chocolate chips! Thanks for participating in Gluten-Free Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete