Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chile Rellenos Casserole

Yum
I made this a couple weeks ago for dinner...and I ate the whole pan, by myself.  I didn't do it in one sitting at least, but still, this is good and I ate it all! It is not a quiche, like some of the other chile rellenos casseroles you'll find.  I added flour to the egg mix and it changes it entirely.  The consistency of the egg, I think, is so much better this way.  You can make it with or without meat, I did half and half in my pan...both ways are excellent.  You could even try it without the dairy-free cheese, or decrease the cheese, if you want to.











This post is featured on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Allergy Free Wednesdays.



Chile Rellenos Casserole
6 large fresh Anaheim peppers
2 cups Daiya Pepper Jack Cheese shreds (the whole package)
Optional: 1 pound sausage of choice, cooked and crumbled (chorizo, Italian, etc., I used leftover breakfast sausage that needed to be used up)
6 eggs
1/2 cup So Delicious coconut milk
2/3 cup all purpose gf flour blend
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Place peppers under a hot broiler and cook, rotating every few minutes, until skin is blistered and blackened. Place the peppers into a large brown paper bag and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Wearing gloves (I use the yellow rubber kitchen gloves) peel the skin off of the peppers, and make a slit in the side of each one, open, and flatten the chile. Remove the seeds and the membranes from each, then set aside.

Preheat oven to 450F and grease a 9X13 pan.  Place three of the opened, flattened chiles unto the bottom of the baking pan.  Top with half of the cheese and half of the sausage (if using). Place the remaining chiles on top and add the remainder of the cheese and sausage on top of that.

In a medium bowl combine the eggs and milk.  Whisk in the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt until smooth.  Pour the egg mixture over the peppers, cheese, and sausage.

Bake, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes or until a knife come out clean.  You can eat this as is or serve it with salsa or hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment