Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Spiced Pumpkin Hot Chocolate

Yum
I know I'll never be one of those hugely popular bloggers, mainly because I'm not a photographer.  Case in point:


Nothing fancy about my pictures, just a quick shot of what I happened to be making and consuming in my kitchen on a normal basis.  So, sorry no fancy pictures or props today, just a mug of hot chocolate.

But this mug of hot chocolate is divine.  I LOVE hot chocolate and I LOVE spices, so combining the two is something that happens quite often for me.  The pumpkin gives it a nice creaminess and compliments the spices without being overwhelming.  I added some essential oils into mine, it's totally optional, the hot chocolate is fantastic without them, but it does give the spices a different depth of flavor.  Please make sure you use oils that are safe to take internally if you do add the oils.


Spiced Pumpkin Hot Chocolate for One
1 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 oz Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (about 2 tablespoons+1 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 drop Protective Blend Essential Oil Blend (optional)
1 drop Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil (optional)

Directions
Heat almond milk over medium heat, until hot and steaming.  Stir in the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and coconut sugar.  Mix well, then add in the chocolate chips and stir constantly until chips are melted and mixture is hot and steaming again.

Remove the mixture from the heat and add in the vanilla and essential oils.  Pour into a large mug and enjoy!

This post was shared on Slightly Indulgent TuesdaysGluten Free Tuesdays, Gluten Free Wednesday, Allergy Free WednesdayWaste Not Want Not Wednesday, Gluten Free Friday, Whole Food Friday, and Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. My kids like hot chocolate. We'll try this.
    BTW, I’d like to invite you to “Like” my new Facebook fan page for The Gluten Free Homestead. https://www.facebook.com/TheGlutenFreeHomestead
    I’d be extremely blessed by your participation and promotion of joyful gluten free living.
    Have a great week.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. The essential oils I have all say not for ingestion. Where do you get those that can be?

    ReplyDelete