Monday, November 24, 2014

Persimmon Muffins

Yum
I'm sorry, once again, for not posting very often.  Life gets busy and takes unexpected turns.  My life took one of those turns a couple of weeks ago, when my boys and I were in a horrible car accident on our way to school.  We were very blessed and protected, and were able to come out of it with just cuts, bumps, and bruises.  What people don't realize when you go through something like that and just narrowly escape with your lives, is the emotional trauma you face.  Everyone has gone on with their lives, and because we all are doing well, I think they all assume we are emotionally fine, too. Emotionally, it's been a roller coaster ride, I'm so grateful I have both of my boys alive and well, but every time I see a car wreck like mine on the news in which someone is killed or critically injured (which happens at least a few times a week) I spin into those what if questions, and sorrow for the family that just went through the wreck, guilt that we were okay and they weren't...I know it's confusing and it's hard to explain, but it's what has been consuming me lately.  I know most of you won't even read this, you've already scrolled down to the recipe, because that's why you came to this page.  But the few of you that actually take the few minutes to read my message, please understand that I enjoy my blog, but it's taken a backseat to life right now.  I'm with my family and I'm valuing my time with them a little bit more, and you should do the same.  With that said, it's Thanksgiving time, right?  How about a new fall recipe to have at your Thanksgiving feast (or for breakfast that morning, or any other time, really)?


These Persimmon muffins are like little coffee cakes, they are so delicious with just the right amount of spices added.  They really are the perfect fall treat.  I had a bunch of persimmons to work with this year and have enjoyed baking with them. I used the Fuyu persimmon in the recipe.  I found it's easiest to cut the persimmons in half, then scoop out the flesh, inside of trying to peel it.  Then it is quick work to puree them for this recipe.


Persimmon Muffins
1/2 cup palm oil shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup persimmon puree
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325F, and lightly grease or line muffin tins.

Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, mixing well after each one.  Add the persimmon puree and mix until well blended.

In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Gradually add the flour mixture to the persimmon mixture and stir until combined.

Scoop into muffin tins, and top with struesel (recipe below) and bake 30 minutes. 

This can also be made into a bread loaf, just use a standard bread pan (9x5") and bake for 1 hour.

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dairy-free margarine
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:
combine together and cut in margarine until it's well combined and forms a crumbly topping. Sprinkle on top of muffins before baking.

This post was shared on Allergy Free Wednesday and Gluten Free Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you and your boys are doing well! I've never been in a major accident, but have been rear-ended before w/ my kids in the car, and remember being so shaken up by just that. I completely get taking time away from your blog to be with your family. Enjoy :-) And these muffins look delicious, especially with the streusel topping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are doing well! I've never baked with persimmons but am excited to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, I understand. Years ago I was in a similar situation and had a hard time recovering. I was terrified to drive and still struggle with it to this day. I will keep you in my prayers and I believe that we are both blessed that are children were unhurt. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks for the beautiful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paula,

    I just wanted to say I did read your post, and I am so sorry that this accident happened. :(

    I hope your mind quits with the what ifs soonest, because that is a difficult train of thought to have arriving in your mental station regularly. And if that train keeps appearing then maybe it is worth sitting down with someone and talking it out. I've always found for me that is the best way to shut down the what if train and leave it stranded well away from my stations. :)

    Anyway, just wanted to drop by and say that. :)

    Cheers,
    Snoskred

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 Oh, Paula! I completely understand! I was hit by a drunk driver last year, all five kids were in the car with me. Our injuries weren't life threatening, but several of them were life-changing. I am glad that you are okay, physically. Just know it gets easier emotionally as you are going on.

    That being said, I came to check out your recipe because I have a bag full of persimmons that I need to do something with. These look wonderful! Thank you for the idea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your reactions to this traumatic situation are completely normal. Praying that this Christmas season is even more meaningful to you. Also praying for continued healing both inside and out!

    ReplyDelete