Saturday, September 24, 2011

Angry Bird Birthday Cake

Yum
It's my husband's birthday today (hence, why I haven't gotten the weekly menu up yet, I'll do that tomorrow) and if you've followed my blog at all you know I go all out for birthday cakes.  My family is really into Angry Birds right now, my kids are addicted...but we limit their play, but still they are the biggest fans I know.  They sleep with angry bird stuffed animals--and play Angry Birds with them (yes, we have the pigs, too), they have angry bird shirts (and got their Dad one for his birthday, as well), we have an Angry Bird calendar, Angry Bird tattoos on order, and the list goes on and on.

So, when I asked them what type of cake we should make for Dad's birthday, you can guess what they wanted...so that's what he got:


Really, just because you're on a special diet, doesn't mean you can't have the coolest cake around. :)

It was actually really easy to make.  I used the king arthur gf chocolate cake mix, because I really love it and it makes enough cake for what I need.

I have one of those Wilton Sports Ball pan sets (basically two aluminum bowls) and used that to make the ball shaped cake.

I freeze the cake, so it's easier to frost with the buttercream frosting. Assemble the ball and frost with a thin layer of the buttercream and place back in the freezer, or at least set for a little while, before covering with the fondant. I make my own marshmallow fondant--and really, fondant is not hard to make and not hard to work with, don't be intimidated! The directions are very detailed for the fondant recipe.  I color mine with Wilton icing colors, and just knead the color into the fondant until it's totally mixed.






1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! Trying to plan my sons 5th birthday who is gluten and dairy free

    ReplyDelete