Saturday, September 25, 2010

King Arthur's Chocolate Cake Mix -- Review (and gfcf frosting recipe)

Yum
My husband's birthday was yesterday, and though we are not huge cake eaters, I always make a big deal about birthday cakes, and that tradition is not about to die just because our cakes are now gfcf!  I was originally going to make a cake from scratch, but I won a $10 gift card to Fresh Market at my GIG meeting, so I spent part of it on the King Arthur's Chocolate Cake Mix, because I heard it was fantastic.  And can I say, it is fantastic! It's moist and holds together well, and it's actually easier to shape than the cakes I've used in past birthday cake experiments...I think this may be our 'birthday cake' cake!  The mix was around $5.50, so not cheap, but considering we have cake 4 times a year, I think the price is just fine, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one at a gluten-free bakery!
Below is our end result, my older son chose what the cake would be this time (because I decorate the cakes more for the boys than for my husband.) :)
I made one 9" round cake and 12 cupcakes.  The cupcakes I froze for those times that we need a gfcf cupcake to replace what's being handed out at daycare or birthday parties. :)

Rating: 10 out of 10 definitely worth the price, the quality is good and it is simply delicious!

Below I have the recipe I used for my frosting:

GFCF Buttercream Frosting

1/2 C (1 stick) dairy-free margarine (I use Nucoa)
1/4 C almond milk (other non-dairy milk)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 16 oz package powdered sugar

Directions
1. Combine margarine and vanilla in bowl.  Beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add milk and powdered sugar.  Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy.

Note: if you want chocolate frosting add about 1/4 C cocoa and a tiny bit more almond milk to the mixture above.

No comments:

Post a Comment