Friday, December 10, 2010

Crepes

Yum
I love crepes, but I haven't made them in a long, long time...really, I think my oldest was a baby the last time I made them, so I'm long overdue.  Crepes are amazing because you can put about anything in them and it tastes amazing.  I was hoping that our gluten/dairy/soy-free version would be as good, and honestly, I think these are the best crepes I've had...or it's just been a long time since I've had them, but still they were incredible.  We ate ourselves silly.  I laid out an assortment of berries (raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries), along with bananas, peanut butter, jam, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and on the savory side, ham and scrambled eggs.  My older son had 3 crepes (well, 2 1/2, he couldn't finish one of them) and which made me realize that these would be great for school lunches in the coming years.  His favorite was banana, peanut butter and strawberry jam with powdered sugar on top...yummy, huh?  One of my favorite ways, is to just fill it with powdered sugar and lemon juice, if you do it right, it tastes like a lemon bar. :)  Really, crepes are so diverse, and are really not hard to make at all.  So, I have no excuse, so I promise I won't wait another 5 1/2 years before I make them again. :)


Basic Crepes

1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free cookie flour blend (yes, this blend has xanthan gum in it, so if you use some other blend, make sure you have xanthan gum)
3 eggs
3/4 cup So Delicious Original Coconut Milk or other dairy-free milk
3/4 cup water
1/4+1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons soy-free margarine, melted

Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs.  Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine.  Add the salt and margarine, beat until smooth.

2. Heat a lightly buttered (with soy-free margarine) 10-12" frying pan over medium high heat.  Pour or scoop the batter into the pan, using about 1/4 cup or so for each crepe.  Tilt the pan in a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.

3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes or until the bottom is light brown.  Loosen with a spatula, flip and cook the other side.  Serve hot.  This makes about 10 crepes (and a family of 2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 6 ate them all!).

No comments:

Post a Comment