Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Eats

Yum
Okay, I'm not into watching football, but I am more than happy to watch the Superbowl for two reasons: (1) food and (2) the commercials. :)  Here is the spread I made this year for the game: 

(1) Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps.  This is Paula Deen's recipe, and it is really, really good.  And it made a ton, so I get to enjoy these tomorrow, too! I've listed the recipe below, too, but all credit goes to her!

(2) Lloyd's babyback ribs in the orginal barbeque sauce.  They are soy and gluten-free!  I know they must of just changed their recipe, because they weren't safe just a few months back when I checked. Here's the label to prove it (not a good picture, sorry):

(3) Asparagus and Ham Roll-ups with a cucumber dill yogurt dip.  YUM!  I'm the only one that ate these, but I'm also the only one that likes asparagus.  I got the recipe from here, but also have it below with my changes.
 (4) Ham and Pretzel Rollups...this was my older son's creation.  When he saw the asparagus roll-up, he asked if he could have those but with pretzels instead.  He and his little brother ate dozens of these roll-ups.  I think we have a new lunch idea!
(5) Last but definitely not least: Chili topped potato skins, these are super easy to make and they turn the potato bar into finger food..LOVE IT.  I used Hormel Chili, which is gluten-free, but NOT soy-free.  My little one had no desire to eat these, so it wasn't a problem. Of course, you could make your own chili, too.  I was just being lazy. :)

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps by Paula Deen
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (I used 2 large breasts)
1 (1-pound) package sliced bacon (I didn't quite use all of the bacon)
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder

Directions 
Preheat oven to 350F. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture. Cover a large cookie sheet with foil and spray a rack (I used a cooling rack) with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wraps on rack in broiler pan. Bake 375 for 25-30 minutes or until bacon is crisp.


Asparagus and Ham Roll-ups
~1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
1 tablespoon water
~3/4 pound thin slices fully cooked ham

DILL SAUCE:
1 cup (8 ounces) So Delicious Coconut plain yogurt
1/2 cup diced seeded and peeled cucumber
1 teaspoon dill weed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions
Place asparagus and water in a microwave-safe 1dish. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Immediately place asparagus in ice water; drain and pat dry.

Wrap each asparagus spear with a slice of ham, my asparagus was quite slender, so I actually put ~5 spears in each bundle.  Just before serving, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with roll-ups. Yield: 8 servings.


Chili Topped Potato Skins (adapted from Cooking For Isaiah)

4 russet potatoes
extra virgin olive oil
salt
chili
cheese (unless dairy-free)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400F.  Using a fork, poke the potatoes in a few place, then rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Bake about an hour, or until done.  Let cool slightly, then halve potatoes lengthwise and scoop out some of the potato flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch .  Rub flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and bake again for about 15-20 minutes, or until crispy and golden.  Top with warm chili and cheese and return to oven to melt the cheese (about 2-3 minutes). 

No comments:

Post a Comment