Friday, April 13, 2012

Broiled Grapefruit

Yum
I'm going to admit something...I'm not a fan of grapefruit.  The only time I get grapefruit is when it comes in my bountiful basket, and even then I really have to force myself to eat it.  I do better when I cook with it.  I love my Grapefruit Yogurt Cake, but eating the fruit itself, is just too much for me.  Well, that all changed this past week.  I decided to try broiling the grapefruit.  I'd seen quite a few recipes around for doing just that and thought I might as well give it a shot.  I loved it! And kept trying different variations, in fact, I've probably have eaten at least 4-5 grapefruit this week!  And it's so easy, the recipe below really isn't a recipe, it's just directions.

Broiled Grapefruit

1 large grapefruit
sweetener of choice*

Directions:
Preheat a broiler to high.

Cut grapefruit in half crosswise.

Using a paring knife, loosen the grapefruit segments, by cutting between the fruit and the peel and between the membranes. Place the halves upright on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with sweetener (if using sugar I found 1-2 tablespoons was plenty, for honey and agave it was just a nice drizzle, and for stevia, I use the NuNaturals packets...1 packet for each half).

Place under the broiler (about 4 inches from it) and broil for about 2 to 3 minutes.

*I tried white sugar, brown sugar, honey, agave syrup, and Stevia, all with great, but different taste results.  My favorites were the white sugar and the Stevia.

No comments:

Post a Comment