Tuesday, April 17, 2012

NOT Wheat Thins

Yum
My favorite cracker prior to my diet change was Wheat Thins.  I could eat them by the boxful...and right before my diet change, I'm pretty sure those boxfuls of crackers were making me pretty sick...but anyway I thought I would try to make my own version of these crackers and they turned out pretty good.


 NOT Wheat Thins
(inspired by this recipe)

1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
2 tablespoons almond meal
2 1/4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra for sprinkling on top
1/8 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
3 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I actually roll my crackers out on the parchment paper and then transfer my paper to the baking sheet).

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, paprika, salt).

With a pastry blender or fork, cut the margarine into the flour mixture until crumbly. Mix together the water and vanilla and pour into the flour mixture. Stir this mixture until it comes together.

On a floured surface (once again, I floured parchment paper, which I then moved to the baking sheet), roll out the dough very thin (1/16th inch). Using a pizza cutter, cut into whatever shape you desire. Using a spatula, place the crackers on the prepared baking sheet (or spread them out on the parchment paper and transfer the paper to the baking sheet). Sprinkle with more salt and sesame seeds if desired.

Bake for about 10 minutes at 400F. Half way through baking rotate the pan to ensure even baking. Cool completely. Makes about 36 crackers for this full recipe. Store in an air-tight container.

This post is featured on Allergy Friendly Friday and Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, so I'm pretty sure it was the wheat thins (and the pasta I had the night before and the 2 bowls of Life cereal) that did my babies in... so I'm going to have to try these because they're my favorite crackers too...
    But question: I've seen some of your recipes that have almond meal... is that the same thing as almond flour? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've figured it out! And I hope you like these crackers. Yes, for my recipes the two are interchangeable. I actually use Honeyville Almond Flour.

      Delete