Sunday, April 29, 2012

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Yum

So, I already have a chocolate muffin recipe (double chocolate banana muffins), and they're good, but the texture is a bit off for me. My little one loves them, but they weren't my favorite.  So, I had been bouncing around ideas in my head and was thinking of trying them out, when my little one came up to me and asked if I'd make some chocolate muffins...it was destiny calling. ;)  They turned out better than I hoped....they are the best muffins I've ever made!  How do I know?  Because my little one and I have already eaten 6 of them...SIX!!!!

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
5 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup gluten-free flour blend
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chips)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F.  Grease muffin tins (or line with muffin cups); set aside.

Beat sugars and margarine in large bowl until light and fluffy.  Add zucchini, eggs, water and vanilla.

In separate bowl combine the flour blend, baking soda and salt; add to the zucchini mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and scoop into prepared muffin cups, smooth out tops with a wet spatula.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. 



11 comments:

  1. These are one of my all time favorite muffins-can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

    Be Well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good! Last year I tried adding chocolate chips to zucchini bread at the suggestion of a farmers market vendor. It turned out very well. Would never have thought of using cocoa in the batter, but am sure these are good too. Will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. I don't combine chocolate with zucchini often enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many muffins does the recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do these freeze well? I am trying to prepare for the school year and home packed lunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do freeze well. I actually freeze all of my muffins and pull them out one at a time, and heat them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, if you're going to eat them right away. Or, if they are getting put in lunches, there is no need to thaw.

      Delete
  6. I am new to gluten free cooking andout of all the recipes I've tried, these are my favorite! So moist and fluffy, you'd never know they were gluten free :) I'll be trying out many more of your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula I cannot thank you enough for this FABULOUS recipe!! I have made these several times and they are perfect. They are decadent enough to double as a cupcake recipe! They are even more incredible with a silky chocolate frosting! I love how easy they are to make and the fact that there is SO much zucchini in them! This is now my (only)go-to chocolate cake-type recipe! I love it and I love your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete