Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lentil Chili

Yum
My family has a favorite chili.  It's incredibly easy, and uses mostly pantry/food storage items, so it's ones of those meals I can easily throw together.  But, there have been a few times where I thought I had hamburger to use for the chili, and I didn't...so, I decided I needed a back up chili for those times.  So, this chili is based off of The Pioneer Woman's recipe, but is totally vegetarian and definitely made with food storage in mind.  It's basically contains only shelf stable items (except the garlic and olive oil, which could honestly be left out), which makes it a perfect food storage meal, or a meal that you can whip up when you haven't been to the grocery store for a while and have nothing in the fridge. :)

This chili is incredibly delicious, and very hearty and feeling, you won't miss the meat at all, I promise! 


Lentil Chili

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dry lentils, rinsed and sorted through
2 cans (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and chilies (Rotel)
3+ cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 can (14 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Cook garlic for a couple of minutes until it softens.  Add in letnils, tomato sauce, Rotel, water, and seasonings. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add in beans and cover and simmer for another 1-2 hours, or until the lentils are tender.  Add additional water as needed.


This post was shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free WednesdaysGluten Free Wednesdays, Whole Food Fridays, and Gluten Free Fridays.


2 comments:

  1. I just threw this together, but after sauteing the garlic I threw it all in the crockpot. I hope it tastes as great as it smells!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, I am such a chili fan and this sounds perfect! Its on my to make list! :)
    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!


    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete