Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Teff Sandwich Bread

Yum
I have a new favorite flour...it's teff.  I love the earthly flavor and the many nutrients in it.  I decided it was time to make a sandwich bread with it, and I'm really in love with it now.  I've eaten half the loaf and am considering eating the other half once I'm done writing this post.



 Really, this bread is soft and chewy and makes a FANTASTIC sandwich bread.


This post was shared on Slightly Indulgent TuesdaysAllergy Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free FridaysWhole Food Fridays, Allergy Friendly Fridays, and Gluten Free Monday.

Teff Bread
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup teff flour
2/3 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon guar gum
2 teaspoons (1 pkg) gelatin
2 egg whites

Directions:
In a small bowl mix together water, yeast, honey, oil, and vinegar.  Let sit for 3-5 minutes or until yeast is dissolved and beginning to proof.

In a mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients.  Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.  Add in the egg whites.  Once combined, mix on high speed for 3-5 minutes.

Grease a medium loaf pan. Spoon the batter into the pan, smooth the top with wet fingers or a wet spatula. Cover and let rise in a warm, humid environment for 20 minutes. (If you are like me and live in a dry, cold environment, do the following:  heat a very wet tea towel in the microwave until it is piping hot.  Quickly open the microwave, place the loaf of bread inside and place the hot towel on top and shut the microwave again.  It should stay warm and moist in there for 20 minutes.

As the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 400F.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, covering with aluminum foil after the first 10 minutes.  After 50 minutes, check the internal temperature of the bread.  It is done when it reaches 205F.

The bread will last a couple of days on the counter/in the fridge.  If you don't plan on eating it that fast, slice it and freeze it.


23 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds really good, however, I'm allergic to almonds. Is there anything you could suggest that would work instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try grinding your own pumpkin seed or sunflower seed flour, and using that.

      Delete
  2. This bread looks amazing. I love teff flour. Might just have to try this out, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is allergic to wheat, rye, rice, maize, potatoes, soy, barley. What can be used instead of potato starch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try substituting the potato starch with tapioca starch or arrowroot powder. I haven't tested either of these, but hopefully one will work for you.

      Delete
  4. Can you use Xanthum Gum instead of guar gum? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can sub xanthan gum 1:1 for the guar gum.

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing! I'd love to have you link that up at Gluten Free Fridays!! Its live now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the wood a cutting board? Wow, it is very striking! The bread looks and sounds amazing. I need to start exploring with teff!
      Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

      Be sure to check out the winning entry this week for our Better Batter Giveaway! The winner will be announced Thursday evening!


      See you there!

      Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

      Delete
    2. It is a cutting board. It was my present to myself for my birthday, I love it!

      Delete
  6. I loved this bread! The only problem is it fell, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did it fall before you put it in the oven, or while it was in the oven? If you let the bread rise too much it will fall. If it fell after you removed it from the oven, it may not have cooked long enough. Make sure that the bread reaches about 205F before you remove it from the oven. I hope this helps, if not let me know.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful loaf of bread!! Great recipe - thank you for sharing it at Whole Food Fridays!
    Hugs,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paula,

    I'm Jane's cousin. She recently sent me the link to your blog. I have just started cooking wheat-free. And I'm having a hard time finding a good wheat-free sandwich bread recipe. Can you point to me a good one?

    Also, where do you purchase your teff flour? (Still learning my way area ;-)

    Thanks,

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I really like this teff bread for sandwiches. Teff has a darker, earthier flavor than other flours, which I like for a change. I order my teff flour from Amazon (I get the Bob's Red Mill brand). I have a few other bread recipes that would work for sandwich breads:

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/09/really-good-bread.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/01/sorghum-millet-bread-rolls-and.html

      http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/01/multigrain-seeded-bread.html

      With all gluten free breads, you'll find that they only last a couple of days at most on the counter. Freeze what you don't use within that time and thaw as needed. I've also found that if they start going stall, microwaving them under a wet paper towel for a few seconds softens them right up again. Or you can toast the bread as well.

      If you feel frustrated about baking gluten-free breads, Udi's makes a fantastic gluten-free bread that actually lasts pretty well on the countertop (usually about a week).

      Delete
  9. I recently heard about teff from some girls from Ethiopia. They love it and suggested I try it. Thanks for this great recipe! If you haven’t already, I'd love for you to visit my weeklyGluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up any GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was really great! I made it today, and it was slightly gummy when I ate a piece while it was still warm (which is a mistake I consistently make), but when it cooled it was delightful! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing, I will definitely have to try that. Wheat and gluten allergies have become increasingly popular over recent years so its always refreshing to learn new tips and recipes. I just tried the best gluten free bread! Have you ever tried any Bavarian breads?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Has anyone tried making this bread in a bread machine? If so, what adjustments did you have to make, if any?

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO going to make this! Did you use whole grain teff flour, or the bag simply marked teff flour? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, it is a whole grain teff flour, both Bob's Red Mill and Nuts.com are excellent sources for the flour.

      Delete
  14. Hi Paula, Do you know if I can substitute anything for the egg whites? I am intolerant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just leave out the egg whites, it may not rise quite as much, but it'll still be good.

      Delete