Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Teff Pizza Crust

Yum
I have been on a Teff kick lately.  I don't eat sandwiches very often, rarely actually.  But whenever I make my Teff Sandwich bread, I make excuses to make a sandwich.  I ate an entire loaf of it myself in 3 days this week, that's a record for me.  Well, this teff obsession lead me to wonder how my pizza crust recipe would turn out if I subbed teff for the sorghum and millet...this is the result and I LOVE it!


Teff Pizza Crust
1 3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon fast-rising dry yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar 
1 1/2 cups gf flour blend 
1 3/4 cup teff flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (one packet of Knox Gelatine)


Directions

In a small bowl  mix together water, yeast, oil, honey, and vinegar.  Let sit for ~3-5 minutes. In a medium bowl (I used my stand mixer for this), stir together dry ingredients.  Add the yeast mixture and mix on low speed until combined.  Then mix on high speed for 3 minutes.

Layout a few pieces of parchment paper. Divide dough into 5-6 portions.  I do this by places dollops of the dough on the parchment paper. Spread dough out using a rubber spatula. Dip spatula in water occasionally to keep the dough from sticking.  Each crust should be about 6" in diameter and about 1/4" or so thick.  Cover with a light cloth and let rise in a warm place (I always use the top of my range, while my oven is preheating) for about 30-40 minutes.

Place pizza stone on the bottom rack of oven and heat oven to 425F.  Uncover dough and cook 1-2 at a time on the pizza stone for 7-8 minutes.  At this point you can cool and freeze the pizza crusts, so you have a bunch on hand when you want something quick for dinner, or you can top them with sauce and toppings and place them directly back onto the stone for another 6-8 minutes, or until it's heated through.

Yields: ~5-6 6" personal size pizzas

This post was shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free WednesdaysGluten Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Fridays, Allergy Friendly Fridays, and Whole Food Fridays.

3 comments:

  1. I need to get on the Teff kick :) Glad I have you to learn from!
    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!


    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made these, they are delicious.Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Teff with roasted tomatoes is scrumptious, and this gives me another way to combine them!

    ReplyDelete