Sunday, November 14, 2010

Caramel Apple Pie

Yum
Yes, it's gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free...and yes it has caramel! :) I found the recipe here, and it looked incredible.  Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm too lazy to make pies, that's why we have crisps in my house...but I really wanted to try this pie and try out the pie crust from "Cooking for Isaiah", so Sunday night is the perfect time to test it out.


Ingredients

1 recipe gluten free pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup soy-free margarine
3 tablespoons gluten free flour (I used my 'Silvana's all-purpose flour blend')
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
7 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced ( actually only had 5 granny smiths, so I threw 2 fuji apples in there)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the margarine in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
  2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft. 
Note:  For those of you that are dairy and/or soy free, this caramel sauce is also fantastic for your dairy free ice cream and for dipping apples. :) 
The pie crust turned out decent, considering I don't do pie crusts. :)  It probably would taste better with a white or sweet rice flour, but I used a blend with brown rice.  It still worked, and I ate way too much, so no complaints here.  Once again, I would recommend getting "Cooking for Isaiah", it has the pie crust recipe in it, along with other fantastic recipes. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment