Saturday, November 27, 2010

Turkey and Green Chili Gorditas

Yum
Once again, I'm using up my leftover turkey and trying to change the flavors enough that my family will not think they are eating leftovers...and this was beyond a success, if stuffing yourself until you're ready to pop, counts as a success.
My boys actually loved the gorditas dipped in ranch...simple, yet they actually tried something new. :)

We'll start with the gorditas, I've never had gorditas before, let alone made them, but they sounded good, so I gave them a shot.  I modified the recipe on the back of my masa flour package and this is what it is:


Gorditas

2 cups Masa flour
1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons palm oil shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
canola oil for frying

Directions
1. Heat griddle to medium heat

2. Combine masa, flour, baking powder and salt.  Add shortening and water.  Knead until all ingredients are well blended and you are able to form a ball.  Divide dough into 14 balls.  Keep dough cover.  Using a rolling pin or your hands, press each ball out to form a circle that has about a 5-inch diameter (don't worry if they are smaller) and is 1/4" thick.

3. To form and cook the gorditas, lay gordita on preheated griddle.  Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.  While still wearm, pinch edge to form a 1-inch rim.  It should look like a small saucer.

4. Preheat over to 170F. Line a cookie sheet or baking pan with paper towels. Set aside.

5. To fry gorditas, use a large frying pan.  Add enough oil to cover bottom and fry 2 to 3 gorditas at a time for 1 to 2 minutes, turning frequently, until both sides are golden brown and crisp. Place fried gorditas in the baking pan and set in oven to keep warm.

6. Top with whatever toppings you like...shredded beef, pork, or my turkey and green chilies below, along with lettuce, tomatoes, etc.


Turkey and Green Chili Filling


1/2 C turkey gravy (if you don't have any add ~1/4 cup chicken stock)
3 C chopped turkey
7 oz can chopped green chili peppers
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in saucepan, until warm and bubbly. Serve over gorditas, or for enchiladas, burritos, on top of rice, etc. :)

This post is featured on The Whole Gang's Real Food Weekly.

1 comment:

  1. Helpful information. Fortunate me I found your site by accident, and I am stunned why this coincidence did not took place in
    advance! I bookmarked it.
    Review my web site - last minute strandvakantie turkije

    ReplyDelete