Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oven Fried Chicken

Yum
So, from my previous post you will know that now all of my recipes are going to be gluten, dairy, and soy free.  This recipe is sooo good, really it's almost addictive, and kid friendly, especially if you use drumsticks like I did.  My older son loves the built in handles...he downed 2 of these, and they were not small drumsticks (I only had 2, so he really liked them).  I adapted it from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe:


Oven Fried Chicken

1 egg
3 T rice milk
1 1/4 C cornflake crumbs (I use the Southern Homestyle Gluten-Free Corn Flake Crumbs, they are so good and work great for when you don't feel like making your own crumbs)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 T olive oil
2-3 lbs meaty pieces (I used nice meaty drumsticks)

Directions
1. In a small bowl combine egg and milk.  For coating, combine crumbs, thyme, paprika, sal, and peper; stir in olive oil.  Skin chicken.  Dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.

2. In a greased baking pan arrange chicken, bone sides down, so the pieces arent touching.  Sprinkle peices with any remaining crumbs.

3.  Bake, uncovered, at 375F for 45-55 minutes.  Do not turn pieces while baking.

Note: this also makes for great chicken tenders or nuggets.  I used my left over crumbs for nuggets to freeze to take to daycare, they were very yummy. If you do use the left over crumbs for chicken nuggets, use them immediately, since the crumbs could harber harmful bacteria from the raw chicken and egg if stored for any amount of time.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, am trying your recipe for our dinner tonight:-)
    A caveat though re your comment of...
    "I used my left over crumbs for nuggets to freeze to take to daycare, they were very yummy."
    As a former conventionally-trained nurse who's been involved in the alternative health field since 1997, I feel compelled to add a cautionary note regarding using the leftover crumb mixture as it can only be 'safely' done if it's used immediately after being made up for the chicken pieces. This is because it just is not safe to keep and reuse at a later date anything that has had raw egg and raw chicken dragged through it so the mixture 'must' be used and the coated nuggets cooked and then frozen at the same time as the original recipe is made in order to avoid unwanted and potentially dangerous bacterial growth causing
    food poisoning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I could never save my left over crumbs for a later date. When I make the chicken nuggets, it is immediately and the cooked nuggest are then frozen for lunches. I should have clarified that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete