Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saltine Crackers

Yum
I love saltines, yes, they are a very simple cracker, but they are so handy to have around.  So, I've set out to make my own.  These crackers aren't as delicate as a typical saltine, but they turned out pretty good.  To get the cracker crispness it worked best for me to have them small, like ~1"x1" small. If you want them bigger, cook them longer.  Another key I found was that you need the dough as thin as possible, the thicker ones (it was my first batch, and I thought they were thin) ended up being like a hard flatbread, too soft for a cracker to hard for bread...not what I was looking for...so roll the dough out as thin as you can.  Other than that, enjoy!



Saltine Crackers
adapted for this recipe


2 cups gf flour blend 
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
2/3 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk or other nondairy milk
Sea Salt


Combine the dry ingredients together in a food processor, add butter and pulse until butter is well incorporated. Stream in milk.  Once mixed place on a piece of parchment paper and knead a few times to smooth the dough out and finish mixing it.  Divide the dough into a couple pieces and roll it out very thin onto the parchment paper. Transfer the parchment paper to a cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with sea salt and prick with a fork (I actually didn't do this, but if you want the classic saltine look, prick).  Cut into 1" squares with a pizza cutter. Bake at 375F for 13-15 minutes.  If you are making large crackers (2 1/2" squares), bake for ~20-25 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great recipe idea! Thank you for choosing our unsweetened coconut milk for helping make gluten-free/dairy-free life SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. And being both gf and vegan, we can all eat them. I am anxious to look at your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?! These look awesome! We are GF vegans, and I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete