Saturday, April 30, 2011

PB&J Bars

Yum
Okay, I've been home with my boys today with no car.  My hubby went out of town (and we are a one car family), so I wanted today to be fun for the boys, mainly so they wouldn't be asking me every five minutes when Dad would get home.  So, we had a great time volunteering at our Bountiful Basket pick up site (before my hubby left, actually we did it before he even got up). Right after my hubby left, we ran to the nearest bus stop...quite literally.  Isn't fun to be a kid?  I haven't ever taken my boys on a bus ride and they were so excited.  So, we ran the 6-7 blocks, hopped on the bus and headed to Juniper Takeout.  This is the one restaurant in town where we can get kid-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free food...so it's affectionately call "Our Restaurant". We gorged ourselves, stopped at a couple stores then headed back home.  I thought that would wear the boys out, but once we got home they just kept going and going, but they were actually entertaining themselves, so I got to do what I love...play in the kitchen.  My older son wanted cookies, and wanted something new (he must take after me), so I wasn't being very creative, but I came up with these, they are basically my peanut butter cookies in bar cookie form, topped with my buttercream frosting with peanut butter mixed in, and then topped with grape jelly...easy. :)


PB&J Bars

For Cookies:
1 C creamy natural peanut butter
1/2 C palm oil shortening
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup gf flour blend
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt


For Topping:
1/2 C palm oil shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C So Delicious Original Coconut Milk
1 16 oz package powdered sugar
1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1/4 cup grape jelly

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl mix together peanut butter and shortening until smooth.  Add in sugars and mix until blended.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl mix together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and mix well.
3. Press dough into an ungreased 13"x9" baking dish. Bake at 375F for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on a wire rack.
4. In a small bowl, combine the 1/2C shortening with vanilla. Add milk and powdered sugar.  Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy, then mix in the peanut butter.
5. Spread the frosting over the cooled bars.  Spread jelly over the top of the frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment