Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Caramel Cashew Ice Cream

Yum
I know, I know, I'm back to doing ice cream recipes. I haven't had time to do a lot of experimenting in the kitchen lately, so ice cream has been the easiest thing to play with.

Growing up, my family would stop by Utah State's Aggie Ice Cream pretty much every time we went to Logan.  It didn't matter how many flavors there were, there were really only two in our minds: Lemon Custard and Caramel Cashew.

I have a decent lemon custard recipe, but hadn't made a caramel cashew one yet, so I made a super easy one that doesn't require too much effort.


The base is the same as for my double chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.  The coconut sugar (or brown sugar, if you prefer), gives is a nice caramel flavor. And then after making the base, it's simply adding in the cashews, easy as that. I added only 1/2 cup of cashews to my ice cream, and ended up sprinkling more on top to get the texture I wanted.


This post is featured on Allergy Free Wednesday, Allergy Friendly Friday, and Gluten Free Friday.

Caramel Cashew Ice Cream

1 can coconut milk (full fat)
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (So Delicious Coconut Milk)
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2-3/4 cup roasted, salted cashews, roughly chopped (amount just depends on your taste preference)

Directions:
For the ice cream base, combine the milks, sugar, salt, and vanilla and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (I've discovered that having it prechilled yields a smoother ice cream). Then freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions.  The last 5 minutes add in the cashews and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks SO dreamy! I love it! Salted cashews are awesome! :) My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-friday-recipe-link-up-1/
    Thanks, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up, I have pinned your awesome creation to our Gluten Free Fridays recipe board on Pinterest! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my...this looks addicting! Thank you so much for sharing such a delicious recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete