Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cranberry Orange Granola

Yum
I've been in a cooking rut lately...or just really, really busy with life outside of the kitchen...or both.  Life has been crazy busy.  My boys both started school last week and this week and I have a huge project at work that has me going in at odd hours day and night...so, I've been thinking of recipes, but haven't had much time to play in the kitchen.

Finally, today, I took the afternoon off of work (mainly because I had to go back in later in the evening) and I finally got to test out one of the recipes that has been stewing in my head for who knows how long.  And can I just say, it's amazing...really, it's about the best granola I've had. And what's great about this recipe is that you can easily change it up pretty much any way you want to with nuts, fruits, etc.


This post is featured on Allergy Free Wednesdays, Allergy Friendly Friday and Whole Food Fridays.

Cranberry Orange Granola
2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup buckwheat grouts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup dried apple pieces

Directions
Preheat oven to 300F. Grease a large baking sheet/pan and set aside.

Combine the oats, nuts, buckwheat, and seeds in a large bowl.  Add in the honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and orange juice and mix until everything is evenly coated. 

Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake for ~45minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes.  Remove from oven once the granola has turned a golden brown.

Mix the orange zest, cranberries, and apple pieces into the granola.  Continue mixing the granola every half hour while it cools on the baking sheet.

Once cooled, place granola in an airtight container.  If stored at room temp it should be good for about a week.  If stored in the freezer it will last a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment