Sugar Cookies with Peppermint Frosting
1 cup palm oil shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sweet rice flour (if you don't have sweet rice or oat flour, just sub brown rice flour)
1 cup gf oat flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup So Delicious Plain Coconut Yogurt (you could also try applesauce instead, but the yogurt was sooo good!)
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Mix together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture with yogurt; mix until smooth. Cover bowl and chill bowl at least 1 hour.
- On rice floured surface, roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Remove cookies to wire rack to cool. Frost with peppermint frosting; color frosting if desired.
1/2 C Palm Oil Shortening or Soy-free margarine
1/4 C rice milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 16 oz package powdered sugar
1. Combine shortening and extracts in bowl. Beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add milk and powdered sugar. Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy.
Note: if you want a chocolate peppermint frosting add about 1/4 C cocoa and a tiny bit more milk to the mixture above.
Yield: 2-3 dozen cookies