Jo Mama's World Famous Spaghetti
2 lbs Italian sausage, casings removed (mild or hot)
1 small onion, chopped
3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
6-7 medium to large tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and diced
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 cups water (for a long period of simmering for flavors to meld. If you don't want to simmer it as long, add less)
3 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 lb gluten free spaghetti (we had corn spaghetti)
- In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir.
- Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened. (At this point you can transfer it to a crockpot if you like, and after adding everything else, cook on low for 6 hours)
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn!
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles.