Monday, March 7, 2011

Bacon and Turnips

Yum
I had turnips for the first time last night.  I was quite worried I wouldn't like them, because they get a bad rap, but surprisingly I did enjoy them.  But it may have been because they were cooked with bacon and brown sugar...that combo makes everything taste good. :)  But really, these turnips were amazing.  This recipe would also work with potatoes, or a combo or potatoes, turnips, and even some apples thrown in there...mmm, I may have to try that out. I got the recipe for here and only did slight adjustments based on what I had.



Bacon and Turnips
2 turnips, peeled and chopped
2/3 lb bacon and bacon drippings
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Directions
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add turnips and cook until tender but still firm (I cooked mine 4-5 minutes, I think).  Drain and set aside.

Cut bacon into 1" pieces and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.  Add brown sugar and turnips directly into skillet with bacon and drippings and mix together.

This post is featured on Real Sustenance's Seasonal Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. We got turnips in our Bountiful Basket this past week and we were surprised by how much we liked them! I roasted them in the oven with some sweet potatoes, but this recipe looks really good. We still have one left...

    ReplyDelete