Friday, March 25, 2011

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Yum
I have a lot of cookbooks from my past life, and I still like to look through them and try to convert those recipes that I really like.  Tonight, I happened to be looking through my copy of Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook and found this recipe that uses no flour and is so easily adapted for our allergies.  I have it below with the allergy friendly ingredients, but you can see from the ingredients that it really is already pretty easy to convert, and really easy to make.  The really awesome part about this is that its a whole grain (quite literally) treat.  I figured it out, and if you cut your pan into 16 bars, one bar will contain about 18g of whole grain (that's a full serving of whole grains!), how awesome is that!?!

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

1 cup dairy-free (soy-free if needed) margarine
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups uncooked gf rolled oats (pulse a few times in a food processor to make them more like quick oats)
1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter

Directions
Grease a 9-inch baking pan.  Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add sugar and vanilla, mix well. Stir in oats.  Cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, until ingredients are well blended.  Press half of the mixture into the prepared pan.

Melt chocolate chips either in a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir in peanut butter and pour the chocolate mixture over the oat mixture in the pan, make sure it is spread evenly. Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the chocolate layer. Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight to harden.

1 comment:

  1. This is making my mouth water! I just printed this recipe and might be off to the grocery store to get some gluten free oats. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am always looking for something yummy to be able to grab as a snack.

    ReplyDelete