Sunday, May 15, 2011

English-Style Battered Fish Fillets

Yum
Isn't strange that when you make this huge diet change some foods you think you can't live without, you realize you can, and you don't miss them, but others you suddenly crave?  I hadn't had fish and chips in ages, but this past week I had to have it.  I just knew if I made it I'd be the only one eating and everyone would be complaining; I'm the only real fish eater in the house. :(


Well, I said to heck with it, put it on the weekly menu, so I'd commit myself to it.  And I did it...and I was shocked. Both of my little ones tried it, my older son hates fish...so I wasn't surprised that he didn't like the fish, but he did like the batter on it.  My little one tried a few bites of both the fish and the batter, which he is usually the one that throws a tantrum when there's something new at the table.  So, yes, it wasn't much, but it was a success, a huge success when I tell you this:  My husband had three servings!  Yes, three!  Anyone who knows my husband, knows this is the real reason I was hesitant to make the fish, he is NOT a fish eater, okay he eats shrimp, but that's about it, and he ate three servings (and remember he's a gluten eater, too, so this is a double whammy)! And on top of that, I made onion rings, once again, I'm the only one in my family that likes onions.  The last time I made these, my husband ate a few, but my boys refused to try them.  This time, everyone loved them, and I didn't change a thing. :)  So, I hope your family enjoys this as well as we did. :)
 
One thing with the recipe below, I used only 2 cod fillets and had a ton of batter leftover, so I would recommend using more fillets (even if you have a small family, because you can freeze them, and then you're not wasting the batter).



English-Style Battered Fish Fillets
adapted from Tyler Florence


Canola oil, for deep frying
2 cup gf all-purpose flour blend or brown rice flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups club soda (12 oz)
1/2 cup gf all-purpose flour blend or rice flour, for dredging
3-4 (8-ounce) cod fillets, cut in 1/2 on an angle

Directions
1. Heat oil in a deep pot or deep fryer to  375F.

2. While oil is heat, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and egg in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the soda water and whisk until smooth.

3. Spread the rice flour on a plate. Dredge the fish pieces in the flour and then dip them into the batter, letting the excess drip off.

4. Fry the fish for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown. Remove the basket and drain them on paper towels; season lightly with salt.


This post is featured on The Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays

2 comments:

  1. Would I go completely wrong if I subbed tilapia or a less fishy fish? I just had a bad experience with cod and I'm not a big fan. What else would you suggest? I've been craving battered fish for a year! Thanks so much for your great gf recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely try it out with whatever fish you like, I think it would work with tilapia. It should also work with halibut, haddock, salmon, or even trout.

      Delete