Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Yum
Nearly every Saturday I get a Bountiful Basket, it really has helped cut down on our grocery bill.  Which is good, since the gluten-free products cost a bit more. :)  Well, this week I got okra in my basket...never have cooked okra, so when I first saw it a was a bit nervous, but then immediately thought...gumbo!!  So, I made a traditional gumbo, served over rice and everything! I just wish my family was more willing to try new things...my husband eat some of the chicken and sausage, my little one enjoyed the sausage and rice, my older one through a massive fit over the whole thing, but no one was willing to try the okra in it...part poopers. :)  I quite enjoyed it, and will be enjoying the leftovers throughout the week this week.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens recipe)

1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup cooking oil
3 cups water
12 oz cooked smoked sausage, quartered lengthwise and sliced
12 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 cups sliced okra
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups hot cooked rice

Directions
1. For roux, in a medium heavy saucepan stir together rice flour and oil until smooth.  Cook and stir constantly over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium.  Cook and stir constantly about 10-15 minutes more or until a dark reddish brown color is reached; cool.

2. Place water in a 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker.  Stir in the roux.  Add the rest of the ingredients, mix.

3. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-3 1/2 hours.  Skim off fat.  Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment