Monday, September 27, 2010

Fry Bread

Yum
I was with my family on Saturday, and everyone was telling me the things they wouldn't be able to give up on a gluten-free diet....which made me really crave certain foods.  I'm working on recipes for some of those, but this one couldn't wait, I needed my fry bread...thanks, Mom, for making crave it. ;) Growing up this was another one of those comfort foods in our house.  My absolute favorite way to eat it is lightly salted with honey on top, but probably the most common use for it in my house is for Navajo Tacos.  We pile on refried beans, seasoned beef, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese....whatever you want, you add, basically.  So, that was tonight's dinner, and it was fantastic, my boys even enjoyed it!  It is a little dense, but that is how our family makes it...so it's not your light fried scone...but you will be addicted to it, I promise. :)

Fry Bread

1 1/3 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 tablespoon baking powder (add more if you want it a little lighter)
1/2 teaspoon salt
water


1. Mix dry ingredients together and add enough water to make a soft dough.

2. Roll out dough on floured surface (I used rice flour), making as thin as possible and cut into 4-5 pieces.

3. Fry dough in 1" of oil, turning once to evenly cook both sides.

4 comments:

  1. When we lived in SD, our local Native American club would make these and turn them into Indian Tacos. They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your recipe... Excellent bread! Thank you for posting it. I did replace 1/3 cup rice flour with my home grown corn flour for texture and color. The family is happy to have fry bread again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these the other day and they were wonderful! Even my husband who isn't gluten free wants them to be a regular recipe for us. They puffed up beautifully and worked great for sopapilla's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished making these and I am impressed. I have been trying recipes because my grandson has been diagnosed with celiac and fried bread is one of his favorites. It's not my Italian Grandma's fried bread but it is very tasty and I think will make a great substitute. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete