Sunday, September 12, 2010

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Meatloaf

Yum
I am one of those people that loves meatloaf...it is pure comfort food for me, so once I got my stock of gluten-free oats I knew I was going to be making meatloaf.  Here's my Mom's recipe, modified slightly to make it dairy free as well:

Mom's Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef
1/4 C ketchup
1/2-3/4 C gluten-free rolled oats
1 egg
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper

Mix together and put in a greased bread pan or in muffin tins (I like meat muffins, because they cook a lot faster and they are already in individual servings).  Cook at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes for a loaf or 20-30 minutes for muffins.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you use Western Family or Great Value ketchup. Hunts and Heinz are both rumored to contain gluten--unless something has changed in the last few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, it's the distilled vinegar in the ketchup that makes people avoid it, but a statement by Gluten Intolerance Groups of Utah says, "In the past, distilled vinegar (or white vinegar) has been listed as unsafe for people with celiac disease by the major organizations in the United States, but not by organizations in any other countries. This position changed in 2001. The Gluten Intolerance Group® and the Celiac Disease Foundation now state that all vinegar (except malt vinegar) is safe for people with celiac disease to consume. The American Dietetic Association has also stated…that distilled vinegar is gluten free."

    I'm cheap, so I usually just use the store brand ketchup...but I did happen to use up the last of some Hunt's I had, and I didn't have any reaction to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Heinz has their ketchup on their gluten-free listing:

    http://www.heinz.com/health--wellness/focus-foods/dietary-preferences/gluten-free.aspx

    ReplyDelete